Sep. 26 to Oct. 2, 2022
Just as more families in Lincoln are struggling with hunger because of rising prices and inflation, more families with young children are struggling with diaper need.
Diaper need is the condition of not having a sufficient supply of diapers to keep babies and toddlers clean, dry and healthy. You can help call attention to this issue during National Diaper Need Awareness Week, Monday, Sep. 26 through Sunday, Oct. 2, 2022.
- National surveys and research studies have reported that 1 in 3 families with children aged three and younger struggle with diaper need, and 48 percent reported delaying changing a diaper to extend their diaper supply. (This data was collected before the pandemic and recent skyrocketing inflation.)
- Diapers cost, on average, $80 per child each month -- this can be an insurmountable portion of a low-income family's budget.
- Diapers cannot be purchased with SNAP or WIC. Other federal assistance programs that allow parents to purchase diapers with their subsidy fall far short in providing enough assistance for families to cover basic needs—like housing and utilities—and purchase diapers.
- Lacking a sufficient supply of clean diapers puts children at greater risk for urinary tract infections, diaper dermatitis, and many more trips to the doctor's office or hospital emergency department. It also negatively impacts the mental health of mothers, which in turn leads to negative impacts on a child's health and development.
- Children who do not have a sufficient supply of diapers cannot attend childcare and early education programs. A sufficient supply of disposable diapers is often required for children to attend these programs. Parents who cannot provide a sufficient supply of diapers may be kept from attending work or school to care for their child. And families who receive childcare subsidies may lose that subsidy if their child is absent too often, regardless of the reason.
Because of diaper need, capable, hardworking parents could be kept out of the workforce for years.
The best way to support Lincoln's only diaper bank is to send a monetary donation. As a member of the National Diaper Bank Network, the Center receives deep discounts on bulk diaper orders, which means your donated dollar will go further than it would if you directly bought and donated diapers.
Be a social media advocate!
Engage in real talk about diaper need with #EndDiaperNeed and #BasicsArentBasic. Share facts and statistics about diaper need and its impact on the workforce with your family and friends. Ask them to help call attention to the issue of diaper need during National Diaper Need Awareness Week.
Start a fundraiser on your profile to benefit the Center's JLL Diaper Bank or the Nebraska Diaper Bank, our state's only National Diaper Bank Network members.
With your help, we can keep Lincoln's youngest residents healthy and happy!