National Diaper Need Awareness Week: Sept. 21-27, 2020
Join the National Diaper Bank Network in spreading the word about diaper need.
Just as more families in Lincoln are struggling with hunger because of the pandemic, those with young children also struggle with diaper need, the condition of not having a sufficient supply of clean diapers to keep babies and toddlers, clean, dry and healthy. Join the National Diaper Bank Network and diaper banks like us in calling attention to this issue during National Diaper Need Awareness Week, Sept. 21-27, 2020.
- National surveys and research studies have reported that 1 in 3 families with children aged three and younger struggle with diaper need, and 48 percent reported delaying changing a diaper to extend their diaper supply.
- Diapers cost, on average, $80 per child each month -- this can be an insurmountable portion of a low-income family's budget.
- Diapers cannot be purchased with SNAP or WIC, nor are there federal assistance programs to help families purchase diapers.
- A daily or weekly supply of diapers is generally required for babies and toddlers to participate in childcare and early education programs. Without enough diapers, parents may be kept from attending work or school.
- Lacking a sufficient supply of clean diapers puts children at greater risk for urinary tract infections, diaper dermatitis, and many more trips to the doctor's office or hospital emergency room. It also negatively impacts the mental health of mothers, which in turn leads to potential negative impacts on a child's health and development.
Be a Social Media Advocate!
Engage in real talk about diaper need with #EndDiaperNeed and #BasicsArentBasic. Share facts and statistics about diaper need with your family and friends, and tell them how you're calling attention to the issue of Diaper Need during National Diaper Need Awareness Week.
Start a fundraiser on your profile to benefit the Center or The Life House, Nebraska's only National Diaper Bank Network members.
Host or support a diaper drive
Hosting a diaper drive is a great way to help alleviate diaper need in Lincoln. Get the National Diaper Bank Network diaper drive toolkit here. Please remember, this was created before the pandemic and adjust your plans, as needed, to stay safe and reduce the spread of COVID-19.
If you aren't up for hosting a diaper drive, you can support a current diaper drive or make a diaper donation directly to the Center. Have an online retailer deliver your diaper order directly to the Center at 3901 N. 27th Street, Lincoln, NE 68521 or drop your donation off at our facility Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Encourage assistance for families in need with your vote this election day. Register to vote here. If you're worried about in-person voting, follow these instructions on requesting an early voting ballot.
The best way to support Lincoln's diaper bank is to send a monetary donation. As a member of the National Diaper Bank Network, the Center receives deep discounts on bulk diaper orders, which means your donated dollar will go further than it would if you directly bought and donated diapers.
With your help we can keep Lincoln's babies and toddlers healthy and happy with clean diapers!